I have to admit i was feeling a little wistful for a trip down South when I picked up the Sephora Favourites: Summer Stash kit from the Sales section. It originally retailed for $54 CAD ($147.00 value) and now was a steal at $36.00. I was also running low on my NARS Laguna bronzer and this kit had a mini version inside for cheaper than buying the bronzer on it’s own. So in my mind this was a no brainer!
And to be honest, this kit could be my ‘Summer Time/Down South’ Holy Grail! The bag is cute, compact, and sturdy enough. It has a good zipper, is flexible in overstuffed luggage, and is made of that thicker canvas type fabric. It pretty much covers everything you need to go from lounging by the pool to a nice dinner out.
Why am I saying this this kit is only for summer time or vacationing in the sun? It’s because the colours are a little bit bright for an everyday look. When I was trying the kit all i could think of was “If I was a mermaid these are the colours I would use”. Which is lovely, but it’s not the kind of look for a marathon shopping spree in NYC during February.
So let’s look at the individual products:
– Stila Cosmetics Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow in Kitten: This creamy eyeshadow is nude but sparkly. Great for pool side or clubbing in the 90s. While the colour is flattering I found the consistensy of the shadow kind of grainy like sand… and goodness help you if you miss your lid and apply any under your eyes. I think I’m still finding sparkles! Not my favourite product in the set but it’s cute and fun in the right context.
– Nars Travel Size Laguna Bronzing Powder: I LOVE this product! If you’ve followed my posts on this blog I have argued that this is the best bronzer EVER. It can give you the illusion of being sun kissed or it can be used as a contour tool. It’s worth getting the kit JUST to get your hands on this beauty.
– Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape: This is a cute product. The colour is fun and buildable so you can either choose a natural flush or a high fashion doll look. I usually only use powder blush but this stuff would be perfect to apply over sunscreen since you can really control the colour saturation and it’s a lovely consitency. My only issue is the container is oddly shaped so the product is hard to get out with your fingers. I ended up gouging it with a Q-tip so I could get the right amount of product.
– Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Mermaid’s Dream: I LOVE this nail polish. First the name describes it perfectly. It’s a lovely Disney sea foam green with ocean blue flecks in it (maybe to represent fish scales for the mermaid’s tail?). It’s adorable, has a lovely consistency, dries and applies well. I will certainly be looking to invest in more Deborah Lippmann nail polish products!
– Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in 12L: This is an excellent liner. I find the colour a little hard to pull off since aqua really clashes with my green/blue eyes. So I opted for making a thick line with the aqua and then doing a skinny black liner right at my lashline. I then smudged some of the this Aqua liner under my lower lashes to make a more muted colour smoke look. With the right outfit it would look killer.
– Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Stained Gloss in New Wave with Lip Brush: This is an adorable shade of popscicle red/pink. Great colour for summer, unfortunately really out of place during the Canadian winter.
– Buxom Divine Goddess Luminizer in Venus: This liquid luminizer is AMAZING! It’s light, easy to apply and the colour is beyond naturally beautiful. It creates cheekbones and arches magnificently! Buxom should really be putting samples of this product in all of its kits because people will buy the full size once they try it out.
– Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray: Great product and it gets great reviews. Since it’s my first setting spray I don’t have much to compare it to. It’s lightweight, easy to apply, and does the job. I’m looking forward to running it through it’s paces when the heat is on this summer.
– Marc Jacobs Mini Lash Lifter Mascara in Blacquer: Amazing mascara. I’m not a big fan of the whole designer make-up line (I want to pay for the product not for the name) but this mascara has blown me away. The mascara has a great consistency, great brush, and amazing longevity even on blustery snowy days. I can see it holding up well in humid weather too. This is on my list of things I will ‘buy again’.